- Thermomagnetic energy harvesting, the magnetocaloric effect, spin-reorientation, magnetic and ferroelectric materials (multiferroics), transduction effects arising from coupling phenomena, anisotropy and quantum effects
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, University of California Los Angeles (UCLA), Present
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Washington (UW), 2010
2010 - Present
- Graduate Researcher, UCLA Active Materials Laboratory (Prof. Gregory Carman) - Thermomagnetic Energy Harvesting, thermal and strain induced magnetic actuation, magnetic energy/entropy modeling and device fabrication
2009 - 2010
- Mechanical Engineering Lead, NASA Reduced Gravity Education Flight Program - Designed, tested and evaluated a fluid damping system for for zero-gravity flight
2009 - 2010
- Undergraduate Research Assistant, UW Rolandi Group Labroatory - Nanowire patterning and peptide self-assembly for lab-on-a-chip development
- 2013 TANMS Annual Review Symposium - Industrial Advisory Board Poster Presentation Award
- 2012 DARPA / SPAWAR SBIR for Thermal Energy Harvesting
- 2012 NSF ERC Grant for TANMS as a co-author
- 2010-2011 UCLA Graduate Fellowship
- 2009 Undergraduate Research Symposium - Poster Presentation Award
- Liang, C. Y., Keller, S. M., Sepulveda, A. E., Bur, A., Sun, W. Y., Wetzlar, K., & Carman, G. P. (2014). Modeling of magnetoelastic nanostructures with a fully coupled mechanical-micromagnetic model. Nanotechnology, 25(43), 435701.
- Nowakowski, M., Sohn, H., Liang, C. Y., Hockel, J., Wetzlar, K., Keller, S., ... & Candler, R. (2015). Reversible electrically-driven magnetic domain wall rotation in multiferroic heterostructures to manipulate suspended on-chip magnetic particles. Bulletin of the American Physical Society, 60.
- Hockel, J. L., Pollard, S. D., Wetzlar, K. P., Wu, T., Zhu, Y., & Carman, G. P. (2013). Electrically controlled reversible and hysteretic magnetic domain evolution in nickel film/Pb (Mg1/3Nb2/3) O3] 0.68-[PbTiO3] 0.32 (011) heterostructure. Applied Physics Letters, 102, 242901.
- Hockel, J. L., Bur, A., Wu, T., Wetzlar, K. P., & Carman, G. P. (2012). Electric field induced magnetization rotation in patterned Ni ring/Pb (Mg1/3Nb2/3) O3](1? 0.32)-[PbTiO3] 0.32 heterostructures. Applied Physics Letters, 100, 022401.
- Hsu, C. J., Sandoval, S. M., Wetzlar, K. P., & Carman, G. P. (2011). Thermomagnetic conversion efficiencies for ferromagnetic materials. Journal of Applied Physics, 110(12), 123923-123923.
- H. Sohn, M. E. Nowakowski, J. Hockel, C. Liang, K. Wetzlar, M. Klaui, C. S. Lynch, G. P. Carman, J. Bokor, R. N. Candler, "Strain-Mediated Electrical Control of Magnetization in Micron-scale Nickel Ring on PMN-PT," Proceedings of Solid State Sensors, Actuators, and Microsystems Workshop (Hilton Head), 2014.
- Clark, A., Walker, M., Wetzlar K., et al. "Rotating Fuel Tank Design to Attenuate Fluid Sloshing in Microgravity" AIAA Space 2010 Conference & Exposition, 8769 (2010)
- Kyle P. Wetzlar, Wei-Yang Sun, Chin-Jui Hsu, Gregory P. Carman. "Nanoscale Based Thermal Energy Harvesting" 3rd Multifunctional Materials for Defense Workshop, Arlington, VA, (Aug 2014)
- Kyle P. Wetzlar, Chin-Jui Hsu, Wei-Yang Sun, Gregory P. Carman "Harnessing the Spin Reorientation for Thermomagnetic Energy Harvesting" 2013 UCLA Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science Tech Forum, Los Angeles CA (May 2013)
- Kyle P. Wetzlar, Chin-Jui Hsu, Gregory P. Carman. "Order-to-order Magnetic Phase Transitions for Thermal Energy Harvesting" 56th Magnetism and Magnetic Materials Conference, Scottsdale AZ, (Oct 2011)